Powell Industries, Inc. Master Field Service Tech in Upland, California
Summary of Position
Powell Service Division is looking for a highly skilled and motivated Master Field Service Technician interested in joining one of the nation’s leading providers of medium and low voltage switchgear. Powell Service Technicians are responsible for ensuring the end to end safety, quality and performance of Powell equipment across the US and Canada. This includes performing installations, preventative maintenance, corrective maintenance, and periodic supervision of small crews. The ideal candidate thinks critically, can work well independently, and is a problem solver. Master Service technicians are expected to service the west coast, gulf coast south, offshore and east coast service regions. Qualified Service Technicians are provided safety and technical training with full office support. Once qualified, Technicians are assigned a company vehicle, standard tooling, testing equipment, a laptop, cell phone allowance, and company expense card.
- Adhere to Powell’s current safety and quality standards
- Complete all site documentation in in a timely manner; including but not limited to, weekly time sheets, Signed service and repair order, materials used and report writing.
- Provide regular and clear communication regarding work schedule to Field Operations Scheduler and District Service Manager
- Maintain flexible work hours, which will include over time and periodic weekend support
- Comply with Powell‘s standard operating procedures, documentation processes, safety processes and protocols.
- Coordinate with Powell Project management, customers, vendors, and labor support in a professional and customer-centric manner
- Able to work in different roles from supporting the Manufacturing Department with in house fabrication, to overseeing small crews on installation projects.
- Switchgear and PCR installations and advisory
- DC / AC Switchgear
- Traction Power systems
- Troubleshooting mechanical repair issues.
- Trouble shooting minor electrical issues / repairs
- Troubleshooting basic electrical repair issues within the switchgear.
- Perform performance testing on Powell equipment and components, including but not limited to; insulation testing (megger testing), Ductor, Hi Potential testing, torque tests and mechanical / functional testing.
- Perform regular inspections of any issued vehicle or calibrated equipment/tools.
- Demonstrate ability to manage tasks, commitments, and deadlines as it pertains to assigned tasks, communications with customers, and internal customers
The Master Service Technician must exhibit knowledge of advanced Electrical Industry manufacturing standards. Completion of a two to four year degree in an electrical related program is preferred. Master technicians must have at least four to ten years as a shop / field electrical technician. Specific standards include sections of ANSI IEEE C37 applicable to the design and manufacture of breakers and switchgear. Specific knowledge of the following: ANSI IEEE device function numbers; ampacities of electrical conductors in switchgear applications; electrical air and surface creepage clearance requirements. Demonstrate knowledge in the design and manufacture of bus and structural modification projects. Skilled in the art of writing accurate and complete test reports, project summaries and has the ability to explain most of the basic anomalies found on a given project. Demonstrate knowledge of basic electrical theory and control circuits i.e.: Ohm's Law; Advanced AC and DC theory; contractor and circuit breaker schematics. Demonstrate knowledge of basic distribution protective relay testing, hi-pot testing, and breaker function testing. i.e.: testing of over-current and motor protection relays with current injection; acceptance testing of dielectric apparatus using over voltage testing; primary current injection of circuit breakers; mechanical and electrical functional testing of circuit breakers; HV substation, generation testing. The Senior Service Technician will also be expected to demonstrate proficiency with computer skills using Oracle, MS Outlook, Power DB, Word & Excel. Additional requirements include but are not limited to:
- Working knowledge with using the following test equipment: Hi potential, DLRO, TTR, EZ CT, Multi-meter, dial caliper, working knowledge of relay test sets.
- Must demonstrate working knowledge with the use of various hand tools and mechanical adaptability.
- Must have verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in problem solving.
- Proficient in AC switchgear and components
- Proficient in DC switchgear and components
- Proficient with Traction Power systems
- Willing to attend in-house and out-side training.
- Willing to travel up 85% of the year.
- Demonstrate ability to read and interpret plan sets and one line diagrams.
- Proficient at running crews and maintaining project schedules
V. Working Environment
The Master Service Technician typically performs duties in an industrial environment. This position requires services both locally and across the Continental US. It is the policy of Powell Service Division to promote safe working conditions for ALL employees, to make available where necessary special equipment to protect employees against specific hazards, to reduce accidents through prevention programs and to establish rules that are designed for the safety of all. It is the responsibility of each employee to adhere to this policy, as well as to observe all safety practices and exercise every precaution for the safety of accidents.
VI. Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel, carry or operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand; talk or hear; walk; sit. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. Additional requirements are as follows:
- Medium physical effort (lifting/moving up to 50 pounds)
- Have full range of mobility in upper and lower body and be able to work in various positions, including, but not limited to, stooping, standing, bending over, sitting, kneeling and squatting for extended periods of time.
- Work at heights greater than 10’.
- Work on ladders of all types.
- Work on scissor and bucket lifts (on occasion).
- In addition, employees will be required to complete and pass Company and Customer required drug screening, background and employment verification checks, maintaining eligibility throughout employment.