Powell Industries, Inc. Project Manager in North Canton, Ohio
The Project Manager is responsible for all elements of the project management position, including:
- Managing one or multiple projects from pre-booking to customer acceptance.
- Prioritizing and directing project activities during the project lifecycle to include planning, scheduling, change management, design, procurement, manufacturing, integration, testing, shipping, and subsequent handoff to Service;
- Ensuring assigned projects meet contractual objectives by effectively managing the project schedule, cost, and scope;
- Proactively following change control procedures as needed when contractual objectives change which may include providing contingency plans and problem resolution reports to ensure customer satisfaction;
- Acting as the primary contact between the customer and the organization in order to maintain existing customer relationships and drive customer satisfaction while meeting business objectives.
- Significantly influencing key stakeholders to meet customer needs and business requirements.
Project Manager is the owner of/accountable for the following activities or work:
- Provides consultation on proposal development as required, including estimating project management efforts on projects and scheduling projects for proposals.
- Participates in the internal Kick Off meeting from Sales/Application Engineering to the organization.
- Initiates and leads the Customer Kick Off meeting.
- Flows down contract requirements to the project team to ensure each team member is aware of his/her obligations.
- Develops the project schedule and allocate project budget based on initial commitments both internally and externally (contractual).
- Develops and manages the project schedule with input from various departments to ensure alignment with both internal and contractual delivery commitments.
- Conducts project-specific meetings with both in-house personnel and the customer, as needed.
- Follows document management processes for project documentation to ensure compliance with business, contractual, and document retention requirements/laws.
- Manages the scope and deliverables from vendors and subcontractors.
- Validates project terms, conditions and commercial viability using Powell quote and standard business practices as the baseline.
- Participates and presents project status at Project Review and POC meetings, as required.
- Coordinates project management essential responsibilities with project managers in other Powell Divisions on multi-organizational projects.
- Develops and manages Project Management Plans, as needed.
- Owns the execution of project activities to proactively meet project cost, schedule, deliverables, and manages scope changes to achieve customer requirements.
- Proactively manages both risks and opportunities and regularly communicates to the business and the customer as needed.
- Proactively follows the change management process to document and approve all changes that impact project cost, schedule or scope. This includes positive/negative and internal/external sources of change.
- Serves as focal point for all communications between the customer and Powell.
- Leads problem resolution activities throughout the lifecycle of the project both internally and externally.
- Is responsible for periodic updates of project financials including but not limited to revenue budgets, cost budgets and forecasts, while maintaining communication to upper management/accounting on potential risk and risk resolution for assigned orders or other orders with same end-user/customers.
- Ensures proper updating and reporting of project schedule status to the customer.
- Is responsible for customer deliverables in order to maintain project schedule, cost and scope.
- Prepares or oversees preparation of contractual invoicing, pursues timely payments from the customer and authorizes payments for major buys to material suppliers and subcontractors.
- Obtains formal acceptance from the Customer for all contractual deliverables.
- Authorizes and approves all project shipments.
- Ensures completion of project closeout activities.
- Is accountable for the commercial success, customer satisfaction and delivery of assigned projects.
- Bachelor Degree in business, engineering or other related field from an accredited institution and/or equivalent work experience.
- Preferably three (3) years of project management experience, in the construction, manufacturing, oil & gas and/or power distribution industry, or similarly complex projects.
- Member of a professional body and project management certification preferred.
- Experience with project management functions such as purchasing, commercial/sales, engineering management, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and influence a strong matrix-organized team through the lifecycle of a project including the establishment of a clear work breakdown structure (WBS) that aligns with project scope, budget and schedule.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively communicate with all stakeholders.
- Detail oriented and results driven.
- Demonstrated ability to make good decisions based on limited information.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate with and influence customers, subcontractors and other key stakeholders.
- Strong focus on customer satisfaction.
- Strong experience to deliver technical solutions to customers.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with ability to be flexible to adjust to changing project conditions.
- Strong computer skills and skilled in the use of project scheduling software (Primavera, MS Project, ERP system).
- The employee typically performs duties in a normal office environment. There may be some work in a manufacturing environment and exposure to the elements of our factory. Additionally there may be some work performed in the field with exposure to construction sites or active customer facilities.
- It is the policy of Powell Industries to promote safe working conditions for ALL employees, to make available where necessary special equipment to protect employees against specific hazards, to reduce accidents through prevention programs and to establish rules that are designed for the safety of all. It is the responsibility of each employee to adhere to this policy, as well as to observe all safety practices and exercise every precaution for the safety of accidents.
- This position is expected to travel approximately 5-10% of the time and must be able to travel with short notice and/or for extended periods of time.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly required to use hands to touch, hold, handle, or feel.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 65 pounds.
- Maintaining body equilibrium and agility to prevent falling when walking, standing, crouching, ascending or descending stairs.