Powell Industries, Inc. Electrical Engineering Manager in North Canton, Ohio
The Engineering Manager will provide all work direction and strategic leadership for the Electrical Engineering department. The ideal will allocate resources among conflicting priorities and provide oversight for all projects. The candidate must be able to assign projects based on skill sets and availability, provide long range planning, manage quality, cost and on time delivery of Engineering activities, and juggle work priorities among full time and contract personnel.
The Electrical Engineering Manager will need to be a functional and strategic leader, and must be able to provide detailed troubleshooting assistance and fully understand work design requirements during proposal generation. He/she must be able to manage experienced, self-motivated engineering staff, providing a balance between empowerment and direction. Individual will play an active role in requirements planning, customer expectation management, solution delivery, and problem resolution.
• Provides technical and engineering resource input to new business proposals/opportunities
• Manages electrical engineering workload to meet critical customer deadlines.
• Ensures that proper records and other documentation are maintained.
• May also provide electrical engineering subject matter expertise to assigned clients, and may also advise other internal groups.
• Technical interface to customers during the execution phase of projects
• Directs various tests and analyzes and documents results.
• Recommends major changes in procedures or objectives.
• Administer and review engineering or related work provided by outside consultants. Determine if methods, procedures, and results developed by outside consultants are analytically sound.
• Leads engineering review of customer technical specifications and the translation of specifications into safe, high quality, compliant equipment/systems.
• Consult or negotiate with customers to finalize engineering project specifications.
• Present engineering plans and progress status updates to project stakeholders and financiers.
• Review and approve proposed engineering designs and subsequent product and process enhancements or changes.
• Maintains current knowledge of relevant technologies as assigned.
• Implement approved engineering budgets and monitor actual expenses to ensure they fall within budgets, analyzing out of budget expenses and ensuring they are offset in other areas of the project unless fully justified.
• Negotiate with 3rd party engineering suppliers to get the best business deals.
• Perform administrative and oversight functions in approving proposals, expenditures and enforcing policies.
• Establishing goals, objectives and priorities of engineering staff. Monitoring performance to those goals and providing feedback to the employee and management.
• Drive quality and accountability to commitments within the Engineering Department
• Lead interface from Engineering Department with all other areas of the business.
• Lead engineering effort in the resolution of technical issues
• Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, master’s preferred.
• Professional Engineering License preferred
• 10+ years of related engineering experience, including relevant leadership experience directing a team of engineers.
• Knowledge of medium and low voltage power distribution equipment and associated controls/data acquisition systems
• Knowledge of ANSI, IEEE, NEC and other industry applicable standards and codes
• Knowledge of DC traction power equipment preferred
• Knowledge of power system analysis and associated calculations
• Familiarity with power system components and their application/specification
• Must have excellent organization, supervisory, managerial and leadership skills to manage a team of engineers and technical staff.
• Familiarity with ISO policies and safety regulations
• Must have excellent verbal and written communications skills as well as interpersonal skills
• Must have proven multitasking skills and can work under extreme pressure.
• Must have excellent analytical and computational skills.
• Be results driven
• Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrate commitment to continuous improvement
• Familiarity with computer aided design tools including CAD
• Ability to gather, analyze and summarize data in order to draw rational, fact-based conclusions