Powell Industries, Inc. Accountant in North Canton, Ohio
Sr. Accountant is responsible for providing support to the Division Management by maintaining accurate financial records for multiple/complex projects based on Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, best practices and company policies, as well as assisting with monthly close, the preparation and analysis of account reconciliations, cost to complete and reviewing, identifying and communicating project/financial risk to the Division Controller.
• Responsible for month-end close activities including, prepare journal entries, and reconcile balance sheet accounts.
• Assist with implementing and maintaining internal controls and procedures.
• Participates in contract analysis reviews.
• May participate on cross-functional or financial process-improvement teams.
• Assist in budgets and forecasts.
• Monitors project performance against budgeted cost and hours; alerting projection managers when variances are spotted. Preparation of periodic Project Management metrics and project close out.
• Assist with forecast cost updates, including evaluation of shortages and progress updates from operations. Maintains accuracy in estimated cost to complete
• Prepare special project analysis which may be complex in nature for Senior Management and PM’s.
• Effectively communicate with Division Controller, Project Managers (PM), Project Team members and Senior Plant Management.
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting is required.
• CPA or CMA is preferable.
• Minimum 5 years relevant experience in a project environment is preferred.
• Knowledge and understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
• Requires strong communication skills to effectively interface and coordinate activities with company executives, employees and customers.
• Knowledge of month end close, project planning, fiscal planning, and contract management preferred.
• Strong organizational and time management skills. Plans, organizes, and schedules in an efficient and productive manner. Able to manage multiple priorities and projects.
• Demonstrated working knowledge of MS Office Suite Experience and Oracle Preferred.