Powell Industries, Inc. Tax Manager in Houston, Texas
The Tax Manager will be responsible for the facilitation, accurate preparation and filing of our company’s state, federal, and international tax forms. This individual will prepare the quarterly and annual tax provision and related disclosures. They will monitor current and impending changes to tax regulation and make the appropriate updates to policies and strategies. The ideal candidate will be a team player who leads by example, creates and implements tax plans and works with the accounting and leadership teams to identify opportunities for process improvement and potential areas of risk.
- Prepare tax provisions in accordance with ASC 740
- Manage the tax compliance team with respect to income and transactional tax returns
- Facilitate and manage the preparation and review of federal, state, and local tax returns to ensure accurate and timely filing
- Review customer contracts to minimize tax exposure
- Find and implement opportunities for process improvement in company tax procedures.
- Manage outside advisors in the preparation of international tax returns, international tax provisions and various tax studies for domestic and international tax credit purposes
- Maintain effective control procedures over all aspects of the tax process.
- Facilitate income tax and sales and use tax audits: preparing responses, creating schedules, etc.
- Monitor legislative and regulatory tax law developments, communicate the effects of these developments to management and the tax team and create strategies to capitalize on changes to taxation legislation.
- Provide support with various internal audits and special tax related projects.
- Manage and mentor members of tax team to greater levels of effectiveness and engagement.
We are looking for a candidate with 5+ years of experience with SEC clients in public accounting and/or industry with at least 2 years of experience in a management role. Preferred candidates have a current CPA license and a master’s degree in an accounting discipline.
- Extensive corporate tax knowledge
- Strong accounting, analytical, and research skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of GAAP accounting for taxes, tax code and corporate compliance.
- Familiarity with U.S. federal, state and local reporting requirements.
- International tax exposure, a plus.
- Strong experience with a variety of tax operations and ability to drive process improvements.
- Strong ability to utilize project management and accounting best practices to organize and prioritize tasks and the tasks of other tax team members.
- Ability to work well independently as well as the ability to work well with stakeholders and communicate the benefits of tax initiatives.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient in the use of tax compliance software/tools such as OneSource.
- Strong skills and experience with Word, Outlook, and Excel.