Powell Industries, Inc. Senior Welder/Inspector in Houston, Texas
As a Sheet Metal Fitter and Welder, you will work either individually, or, as a part of a small team, to produce Sheet Metal Weldments. You will be required to produce a variety of Weldments, all of which must meet the dimensional specifications of the mechanical engineered drawing. Also, you will be required to determine, from the drawing, where each weld is to be performed, and, to meet the size and length requirements of each weld specified within the given tolerance allowed. Finally, you will be required to meet any cosmetic or appearance specifications of your weldment. This may require grinding welds and sheet metal buffing. After you complete each weldment, you deliver the finished product to your customer and record the delivery through a computer transaction.
Other responsibilities of this position include performing light maintenance on your welding and cutting equipments as well as small power tools, and fume extractors. Also you must maintain the cleanliness of your work area and meet all requirements of the Powell Quality System for this position. Finally, all employees are required to participate in Powell's ongoing Safety Training.
Education and Experience:
* Minimum of grammar school education.
* Must have a basic command of the English language, both written and verbal.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Ability to read a tape measure and ruler (this includes conversions from fraction to decimal and conversely from decimal to fractions)
* Ability to meet Jaeger Vision test requirements with either corrected or uncorrected vision.
* Ability to read or learn to read mechanical engineered drawings (blueprints).
* Ability to read and understand various welding symbols.
* Ability to fit-up Weldment per required mechanical engineered drawing and Product Specifications.
* At least 2yrs. Of Short-Circuit GMAW (MIG) welding experience working with Hot-rolled, Pickled and oiled (HRPO) sheet metal thickness from 16 gauge to 7 gauge. Also, worked as a sheet metal MIG welder within the last 12 months.
* Ability to "fine-tune" voltage and wire feed settings to achieve desired quality results.
* Ability to pass an AWS D1.3 Structural Sheet Metal Welding Test using the Short-Circuit GMAW (MIG) process. The test requires completing a fillet weld on a T-joint in the Vertical-up position and the overhead position. Also, the welder must complete a square groove butt-weld in the horizontal position. All welds will be performed using 12 gauge HRPO material.
* Ability to work with small hand tools, clamps and grinders to fit-up and weld sheet metal products.
* Ability to perform light maintenance on welding equipment such as replacing contact tips and nozzles, replacing liners and entire weld gun assemblies, replacing drive rolls on wire feeders and safely exchanging shielding gas bottles.