Powell Industries, Inc. Senior R&D Laboratory Assistant 449 in Houston, Texas
The candidate will be responsible for performing well documented R&D laboratory electrical, mechanical, electromechanical, and environmental testing and assembly of mechanical and electrical prototypes. They will assist in design and development tasks by providing input from test that have been conducted. Ability to travel for product testing at U.S. and European locations is required.
• Assembly of prototypes with and without instruction(s) from R&D Engineering staff.
• Test equipment set-up, operation and repair.
• Generate thorough and concise test result documentation.
• Analyze test failures and propose corrective actions.
• Conduct experiments to prove relevant design theories.
• Design and construction of new test apparatus.
• Maintenance of written test and equipment procedures for use by R&D personnel.
• Provide basic trouble shooting and repair of electrical and mechanical equipment.
• Maintain laboratory in a clean and orderly fashion.
• Expedite R&D project materials from inside and outside sources.
• Reports to Research and Development Manager.
• Internal relationships include regular interaction with: designers, supervisors, engineers, shop personnel, and purchasing.
• External relationships include interacting with customers, vendors, and third party engineers or inspectors.
Skills and Requirements
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Must be highly motivated and a self-starter.
• Ability to follow written and verbal instructions with an attention to detail.
• Organizational skills are required to track and expedite R&D materials.
• Excellent electrical, mechanical and problem solving skills.
• Thorough knowledge in reading and interpreting part and assembly drawings.
• Able to demonstrate excellent time-management skills.
• Certified forklift and crane operator.
• Knowledge of electrical design and circuitry.
• Knowledge of applicable industry codes and standards.
• Knowledge of electrical symbols, characters, and drawings.
• Knowledge of national and international regulatory standards as they apply to the day to day activities of the laboratory.
• Attend in house and outside training sessions.
• Administer policies and procedures, work instruction, ISO policies, safety rules and regulations.
• A.S. Degree in Electrical, Mechanical, or related field or;
• 5+ years of experience in an Engineering, Laboratory or Manufacturing role.
• Computer skills using Oracle, Word, Excel. Specifically, working knowledge of MS Office, MS Project, MS Visio,
The employee typically performs duties in a normal office environment. There will be work in a shop environment and exposure to the elements of our shop. Additionally there may be some work performed in the field with exposure to construction sites or active customer facilities.
It is the policy of Powell Electrical Manufacturing Company to promote safe working conditions for ALL employees, to make available where necessary special equipment to protect employees against specific hazards, to reduce accidents through prevention programs and to establish rules that are designed for the safety of all. It is the responsibility of each employee to adhere to this policy, as well as to observe all safety practices and exercise every precaution for the safety of accidents.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel, carry or operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand; talk or hear; walk; sit. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use the careers site as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 713-378-2685 and let us know the nature of your request and provide your contact information. Please do not direct any other general employment related questions to this email and/or phone number. Only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address and/or phone number. EOE including Disability/Protected Veterans