Powell Industries, Inc. Senior Payroll Specialist in Houston, Texas
I. Purpose of Position
Run and may lead the weekly and/or semi-monthly payrolls. To maintain current payroll systems to achieve alignment with the HR and Benefits systems and to ensure effective support for the Accounting systems.
II. Key Responsibilities
• Process and monitor semi-monthly and weekly Payroll runs from end to end.
• Perform and monitor all non-routine Payroll tasks including employee transfers, terminations and complex adjusting entries.
• Reconcile payroll taxes after each payroll and resolve any discrepancies.
• Run and monitor critical interfaces from the HR and Benefits systems to the Payroll system and ensure full accuracy.
• Applies advanced knowledge of Payroll and HR/Benefits systems for continuous improvement.
• Participates in and may lead developing, testing, implementing new processes/systems, and assimilating new company locations.
• Assist in the creation of Payroll Departmental policy and procedures as required.
• May serve as a resource to others by way of resolving complex issues, training on key systems, assigning/reviewing the tasks delegated to lower level employees, perform other related duties as assigned.
• Assist and may lead all necessary tasks related to quarter end and year end activities.
• Maintain employee data in Time and Attendance system as needed.
• Reports to Manager, Payroll.
• Internal relationships include regular interaction with: HR Dept, Employees.
• External relationships include regular interaction with: Banks, Vendors, State and Federal agencies.
IV. Skills, Experience, and Requirements
• Associate degree from an accredited university.
• Current Certified Payroll Professional preferred.
• Minimum 6+ years experience in payroll administration full cycle.
• Minimum 3+ years experience in payroll taxes.
• System skills using MS Office and Ceridian system preferred.
• Working knowledge of Human Resources functions and processes.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Problem analysis and problem resolution.
• Attention to detail, accurate, meets deadlines.
• Strong focus on customer service.
• Ability to prioritize and organize work.
• Ability to manage complex assignments as required.
• Ability to anticipate issues and take preventive/corrective action.
• Ability to adapt the procedures and tools to meet the more complex needs of the position.
• May lead cross-training Payroll team and backfill for coverage as needed.
• Willing to learn and share knowledge.
• Ability to work under general supervision.
V. Working Environment
The employee typically performs duties in a normal office environment. There will be some work in a shop environment and exposure to the elements of our shop. Additionally there may be some work performed in the field with exposure to construction sites, active customer facilities, or test laboratories.
It is the policy of Powell Industries to promote safe working conditions for ALL employees, to make available where necessary special equipment to protect employees against specific hazards, to reduce accidents through prevention programs and to establish rules that are designed for the safety of all. It is the responsibility of each employee to adhere to this policy, as well as to observe all safety practices and exercise every precaution for the safety of accidents.
VI. Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel, carry or operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand; talk or hear; walk; sit. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.