Powell Industries, Inc. Senior Accountant in Houston, Texas
Fiduciary - Maintain controls and procedures to ensure that company assets are properly recorded and protected.
Business partner - Provide financial reports to operations and financial management. Team with division management and staff to improve business processes, profitability, and working capital management.
* Reconciles balance sheet accounts, including accounts of significant financial impact
* Prepares journal entries
* Assists with month-end close activities
* Prepares financial reports with accompanying analysis explaining variances from historical trends or expected results.
* Assists operations management in performing make/buy decisions or preparing business case financial evaluations required to obtain approval for purchasing fixed assets
* Analyzes manufacturing variances
* May have direct involvement in the POC/Completed Contract Revenue recognition process
* Assist with implementing and maintaining internal controls and procedures
* May assist in fixed asset physical inventory performed every 3 years
* May assist in performing periodic physical inventories or tracking cycle count effectiveness
* Assists in the development of standard labor and overhead rates.
* Assists in budgets and forecasts
* Ad hoc financial reporting
* Balances intercompany activity with other divisions
* Participates on cross-functional or financial process-improvement teams
* Bachelors degree in Accounting required.
* Minimum 2 years of accounting experience required, preferably in manufacturing and/or project environment
* Microsoft office software competence, especially excel and word
* Experience with an ERP system, Oracle preferred
* Honest, full and open disclosure
* Able to handle average and multiple tasks with limited direction
* Persistent and diligent with unquestionable integrity
* Detail and results oriented, excellent accuracy and commitment to meeting deadlines
* Analytical - macro (financial trends, comparisons, relationships)and micro (getting to "root cause")
* Good oral and written presentation skills, including organizing data in spreadsheets and graphs
* Accepts constructive feedback and strives for continuous improvement
* Professional curiosity