Powell Industries, Inc. Purchasing Supervisor in Houston, Texas
Purpose of Position
The Purchasing Supervisor is responsible for the tactical and strategic management of a commodity or commodities. The Purchasing Supervisor will be an expert on those commodities and the feedstock of those commodities. The Purchasing Supervisor will manage a staff of professional buyers to achieve assigned strategic initiatives and goals for Purchasing and/or the Business. The Purchasing Supervisor will play an active role in the solicitation, evaluation, and negotiation of major material and/or service agreements.
• Adhere to Powell Safety Rules and assure Suppliers do the same
• Effectively lead and manage Buyers to achieve assigned strategic goals and initiatives for Purchasing and/or the Business
• Develop short and long term sourcing strategies for commodities assigned focused on optimizing value added improvement within the supply base
• Lead work on strategic purchasing initiative projects with Purchasing Manager and/or Strategic Sourcing Manager
• Drive value-engineering efforts based on knowledge of (assigned) commodities and their industry drivers in relation in potential material alternatives
• Actively engage the supply base throughout the design and implementation process for all new product development projects
• Evaluate the number, type, and the geographic appropriateness of suppliers required to support assigned commodities
• Coordinate the disposition of excess and/or obsolete purchased inventory within the assigned commodity group(s)
• Monitor and maintain the Purchasing Category Value completeness and accuracy of the items assigned
• Achieve individual and/or commodity Team cost improvement targets assigned by Manager
• Establish Payment Terms of not less than Net 45 days with all new suppliers while moving all existing suppliers to no less than Net 45 days
• Achieve supplier PPM targets and goals as assigned by Manager
• Review open buy requirements, issue purchase orders, and expedite delivery of the material or service as appropriate
• Supervises a small team responsible for purchasing, sourcing, inventory management, expediting, shipping material compliance, shipping, receiving, material handling and others as needed
• Proactively advance professional knowledge and education
• Perform other related duties as assigned
• Reports to Service Operations Director
• Internal relationships include regular interaction with: Accounting, Engineering, Estimating, Operations, QA, R&D, Sales, Strategic Sourcing, General Management and Corporate Management.
• External relationships include regular interaction with Suppliers, other Industry and Purchasing professionals.
Responsibilities, Skills, Experience, and Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree or minimum five years relevant experience
• Minimum 3 years in an ETO (engineered to order) manufacturing environment
• Minimum 5 years in a material and/or purchasing assignment with a concentration in an ETO (engineered to order) materials environment.
• Demonstrated analytical and Root Cause determination skills
• Excellent interpersonal relationship skills
• Strong demonstrated oral and written communication skills
• Strong computer skills
• Must be responsible and dependable
• Attend in house and outside training sessions.
• Attend local professional associations.
• Learn policies and procedures, work instruction, ISO policies, Safety Rules and Regulations, and vendor products.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
• Travel may be required.
The employee typically performs duties in a normal office environment. There will be some work in a shop environment and exposure to the elements of our shop. Additionally there may be some work performed in the field with exposure to construction sites or active customer facilities.
It is the policy of Powell Industries to promote safe working conditions for ALL employees, to make available where necessary special equipment to protect employees against specific hazards, to reduce accidents through prevention programs and to establish rules that are designed for the safety of all. It is the responsibility of each employee to adhere to this policy, as well as to observe all safety practices and exercise every precaution for the safety of accidents.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to touch, hold, handle, or feel. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.