Powell Industries, Inc. Project Management Associate in Houston, Texas
Project Management Associate is an interim, developmental role in which the project management candidate will work with the project management team and other functions within the business to gain experience and training in project management, Powell’s products, and Powell’s processes. Project Management Associate is a temporary, developmental role (approximately 6-30) months. A customized development plan, including formal training and rotational assignments, will be designed based on the background, skills and experience of each candidate. The goal of the Project Management Associate role and development plan is to prepare candidates to become fully functioning Project Managers.
Project Management Associate is responsible for working with project management and other functions within the business to gain exposure to and experience in project management best practices, specific to Powell’s products and processes. In this role, the Project Management Associate will develop the following knowledge and skills:
• Project management processes
• Displayed understanding of Powell’s project lifecycle
• Scheduling basics
• Project financials and forecasting
• Leading teams
• Leading meetings
• Powell products
• Risk management strategies
• Change order management and pricing
• Documentation management
• Post Sales Shipment/Warranty processes
• Business tools
• Contract management and negotiation
• Management of major buyout materials
The customized development process may include:
• Working closely with the manager, project management and a mentor
• Participating in ongoing training
• Establishing relationships with project team members, internal functions/customers, and key stakeholders across the organization
• Formal rotational program including exposure to and assignments within various Powell functions/departments:
• Project scheduling
• Project coordination
• Small project management
• Production scheduling
• Production and manufacturing
• Quality and inspection
• Post Sales Service/Warranty
• Cross-divisional training
- Bachelor Degree in business, engineering or other related field from an accredited institution and/or equivalent work experience.
- Preferably 1-3 years of project management experience, in the construction, manufacturing, oil & gas and/or power distribution industry, or similarly complex projects.
- Member of a professional body and project management certification preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and influence a strong matrix-organized team.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively communicate with all stakeholders.
- Detail oriented and results driven.
- Demonstrated ability to make good decisions based on limited information.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate with and influence customers, subcontractors and other key stakeholders.
- Strong focus on customer satisfaction.
- Strong computer skills.
- The employee typically performs duties in a normal office environment. There will be some work in a manufacturing environment and exposure to the elements of our factory. Additionally there may be some work performed in the field with exposure to job sites or active customer facilities.
- It is the policy of Powell Industries to promote safe working conditions for ALL employees, to make available where necessary special equipment to protect employees against specific hazards, to reduce accidents through prevention programs and to establish rules that are designed for the safety of all. It is the responsibility of each employee to adhere to this policy, as well as to observe all safety practices and exercise every precaution for the safety of accidents.
- This position is expected to travel approximately 5-10% of the time and must be able to travel with short notice and/or for extended periods of time.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly required to use hands to touch, hold, handle, or feel.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 65 pounds.
- Maintaining body equilibrium and agility to prevent falling when walking, standing, crouching, ascending or descending stairs.