Powell Industries, Inc. Painter in Houston, Texas
As a Painter/Sandblaster, you will be required to perform the following tasks:
* Sandblast and Paint raw steel platforms and various products and equipment.
* Move platforms and various products using a overhead crane or forklift.
* Perform Sandblasting and Wet Painting tasks in a safe and timely manner.
* On occasion be required to perform general labor and cleaning tasks as directed by your supervisor or leadperson.
* Keep up with routine maintenance procedures and cleaning equipment.
* Document inspections and paint usage in proper records.
Education and Experience:
* Minimum of grammar school education.
* Ability to perform basic math functions.
* Must have a basic command of the English language, both written and verbal.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Minimum of 2 years experience of wet painting, sandblasting and surface preparation techniques.
* Proficient with use of Airless and Conventional paint spaying systems with very minimal to no defects.
* Knowledge of wet painting and proper paint mixing technique (ex: two part Epoxy primer and Polyurethane paint).
* Proficient with use of Steel Grit Blasting equipment and knowledge of basic maintenance.
* Ability to work independently or part of a small team and perform required tasks with little supervision.
* Ability to maintain a clean work area by picking up trash and sweeping the floor and disposing of paints and solvents in appropriate location. Throughout and at the end of the shift.
* Ability to perform and recognize a Commercial Grade Blast cleaning on steel.
* Ability to use a wet paint film thickness gauge and dry film thickness gauge.
* Ability to use a dial thickness gauge to achieve appropriate anchor profile of required blast.
* Ability to recognize and properly repair defects in paint finish (ex: runs, holidays and orange peel).
* Ability to perform basic troubleshooting functions on Airless and Conventional paint spaying equipment.
* Ability to follow directions, company operating procedure , safety rules and ISO requirements.
* Ability to work up to 12 hour shifts upon request. Frequently required to work a 6th day (Saturday) during your normal shift, and required to work an occasional 7th day (Sunday).
* Ability to stand and walk on concrete floor continuously for a minimum of 8 hours per day.
* Ability to lift metal objects of up to 50 pounds frequently for a minimum of 8 hours per day.
* Ability to pass a breathing test and full-face respirator fitment test.