Powell Industries, Inc. Lead Accountant in Houston, Texas
Fiduciary - Maintain controls and procedures to ensure that company assets are properly recorded and protected. Business partner - Provide financial reports to operations and financial management.
Team with division management and staff to improve business processes, profitability, and working capital management.
- May lead the month-end close process, assuring timely completion of all activities per the closing checklist approved by the controller
- Reconciles key balance sheet accounts and may review reconciliations prepared by other divisional accountant(s).
- Prepares journal entries * Prepares and analyzes key performance metrics for the division explaining variances from historical trends or expected results.
- Coordinates quarterly and year-end audit activities among internal and external auditors and corporate finance
- May perform annual standard labor and overhead rate analysis * May recommend, draft or implement financial control procedures. Instrumental in evaluating and updating the internal control framework.
- Assists the Controller in developing the annual budget and leads the preparation of departmental budgets and forecasts
- Manages the financial aspects of the POC/Completed Contract (e.g. Point-in-Time: Time and Material-T&M/Fixed Price) Revenue recognition process, including assuring compliance with related corporate policy over maintaining processes to determine cost-to-complete, loss reserves, segmentation, etc.
- May direct the activities of other accountants in the division.
- Lead and participate in teams to improve processes and performance (all financial or cross-functional teams), including the use of process maps
- Ad hoc financial reporting and analyses
- Documents and maintains financial processes and procedures
Participates on cross-functional or financial process-improvement teams.
Bachelors degree in Accounting required. CPA or MBA, preferred
- Minimum 5-7 years of accounting experience required, preferably in manufacturing and/or project environment
- Microsoft office software competence, especially excel and word
- Experience with an ERP system, Oracle preferred * Honest, full and open disclosure
- Able to handle complex and multiple tasks with limited direction
- Persistent and diligent with unquestionable integrity
- Detail and results oriented, excellent accuracy and commitment to meeting deadlines
- Analytical - macro (financial trends, comparisons, relationships)and micro (getting to "root cause")
- Good oral and written presentation skills, including organizing data in spreadsheets and graphs
#LI - AB
- Accepts constructive feedback and strives for continuous improvement
- Professional curiosity