Powell Industries, Inc. Buyer in Houston, Texas
Job Description *
The primary function of the Buyer is to manage an assigned set of commodities to ensure the Supply Chain is properly aligned to meet our demand schedule at the total lowest cost possible. Other functions will include improving the performance of our Supply Chain by using our Supplier Scorecard Process, identify and implement stocking programs (such as VMI, Supplier Safety Stock and/or Consignment) where applicable to eliminate stockouts or shortages, and disposition Non-Conforming Material back to the supplier in a timely manner. Lastly, the Buyer will also focus on reducing the overall cost to the business by managing PPV and delivering Cost Savings through projects identified at both the Local and Corporate level.
- Adhere to Powell Safety Rules
- Ensure Purchase Orders are placed on time and in accordance with Powell’s Grants of Authority
- Adjust Suppliers Delivery Schedules as required to support our customers schedule changes and communicate the status of all shortages and expedite PO’s as required
- Reduce the overall cost base by delivering savings from Cost Reduction Projects
- Improve the Performance of our Supply chain by developing action plans for our worst performing suppliers to either improve their delivery or exit them as a supplier
- Ensure the information on our PO’s is accurate to ensure Suppliers Invoices get processed efficiently upon receipt
- Promptly disposition Non-Conforming Material back to our Suppliers to minimize any and all schedule delays
- Maintain the Purchasing information contained within Oracle (Lead Times, Pricing, MOQ’s, etc…..)
- Work with our Inventory team to disposition excess and obsolete purchased inventory
- Other Duties as Assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree
- APICS Certification Preferred (CPIM / CSCP)
- Minimum 5 years in a manufacturing environment (Engineered to Order Environment Preferred)
- Strong Negotiation Skills
- Demonstrated Analytical and Root Cause determination skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Computer Skills – ERP, Microsoft Office, Supplier Portals
- High level of Customer Focus (both internal and external)
- Travel may be required