Powell Industries, Inc. Apprentice Machinist IV in Edmonton, Alberta
Powell People Solving Tough Problems
As a top player in Switchgear and E-house Manufacturing, Field & Valve Servicing, a career with us will challenge you to solve some very tough problems. You will be rewarded with growth, personal development & industry expertise. At Powell, we appreciate our employees by providing a comprehensive salary package, RRSP matching, extensive benefits and job training all within a professional & friendly working environment.
Based out of the Electrical Valve location, the Apprentice Machinist IV will report to the Valve Manager of the Valve Division. The Apprentice Machinist IV will setup and operate a variety of machine tools to produce precision parts and instruments under the direction and guidance of their Manager.
- Study sample parts, blueprints, drawings, and engineering information to determine methods and sequences of operations needed to fabricate products.
- Calculate dimensions and tolerances using knowledge of mathematics and instruments such as micrometers and vernier calipers.
- Set controls to regulate machining, and enter commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized machine control media.
- Machine parts to specifications using machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, shapers, or grinders.
- Perform precision machine operations using basic and specialized tools.
- Align and secure holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories and materials onto machines.
- Measure, examine and test completed units to detect defects and ensure conformance to specifications.
- Monitor the feed and speed of machines during the machining process.
- Diagnose machine malfunctions and determine need for adjustments or repairs.
- Perform checks on machined pieces to ensure they are properly lubricated and cooled.
- Clean and maintain machines, tools and equipment to ensure proper operation.
- Establish work procedures for fabricating new structural products.
- Evaluate experimental procedures, and recommend changes or modifications for improved efficiency.
- Test experimental models under simulated operating conditions for such purposes as development, standardization, and feasibility of design.
- Promote a safety culture as well as attend all safety meetings.
- Ensures quality by following standard work instructions and identifying any potential risks to product quality.
- Ensure work area remains clean and well organized.
- Other duties as required.
- Effectively diagnoses problems and influences proper actions to resolve the issues.
- Ability to adapt to new ideas, technology, processes or product changes.
- Strong critical thinking skills using logic and reasoning to identify alternatives and reach conclusions.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Knowledge of machines and tools including their design, use, repair and maintenance.
- Basic ability to perform mathematical calculations.
- Ability to work independently.
- Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques.
- Conscientious, thorough, accurate, and reliable when performing and completing job tasks.
- Ability to learn and adhere to all manufacturing policies and practices to ensure adherence to ISO requirements.
- Able to work effectively within your team and around other departments and their activities.
- Must have a basic command of the English language, both written and verbal.
- Indentured Apprentice with AIT (or other provincial programs).
- Safety certifications are an asset for the position.
- Due to the safety sensitive nature of this position successful candidates will undergo pre-employment substance abuse and medical testing upon hire.
Who we are
Powell Canada Inc. is a subsidiary of Powell Industries, which is located in Houston, Texas. Globally, we have over 70 years of experience. Powell Canada is a reputable electrical manufacturing, valve servicing and electrical/instrumentation contracting company. We hold a strong industry presence with offices located in Edmonton, Acheson, Vancouver, Calgary, Redwater, Fort McMurray, Lloydminster, Montreal and Saskatoon.
Powell strives to create one unified company through training, communication and leadership. We offer diversified services based on our customer’s needs, keeping us on the cutting edge of new products and services within our industry.
Your Partner in Safety
Successful candidates must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for any employer, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Powell Canada, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
#LI – AB1