Powell Industries, Inc. Field Service Engineer in Broomall, Pennsylvania
Field Service Engineer is responsible for providing top level service to Powell customers that will ensure repeat business and total customer satisfaction; training and mentoring technicians in the assigned area and others as required; interpreting test data and making recommendations as to the corrective actions that need to be taken. He or she will be responsible for supervising large and complicated projects. He or she would be expected to secure new business opportunities and gather information on customer future plan for return business and sales opportunities, grow project scope. Estimating knowledge for both equipment and field service.
• Adhere to Powell’s current safety and quality standards.
• Actively pursue sales opportunities via cold calling, using existing customer base through on-site customer meetings, focus on targeted accounts, execute customer presentations, and focus on closing field service opportunities.
• Manage on-site project team in completing all site documentation in a timely manner; including but not limited to, weekly time sheets, signed service and repair order, materials used and report writing.
• Review project scope of work and material for each project.
• Provide regular and clear communication regarding work schedules to internal and external customers.
• Maintain flexible work hours, which will include over time and weekend support.
• Comply with Powell‘s standard operating procedures, documentation processes, safety processes and protocols.
• Coordinate with Powell Project management, customers, vendors, and labor support in a professional and customer-centric manner.
• Able to work in different roles of individual support to managing small crews.
• Able to provide solutions to customers in support of sales.
• Manage safety requirements for assigned region and team.
• Review test reports from projects for accuracy and provide recommendations to customers from deficiencies on test reports as a deliverable.
• Demonstrate ability to manage tasks, commitments, and deadlines as it pertains to assigned tasks, communications with customers, and internal customers.
• Common projects include:
− Switchgear and PCR installations and advisory.
− Troubleshooting mechanical repair issues.
− Troubleshooting basic electrical repair issues within the switchgear.
− Perform performance testing on Powell equipment and components, including but not limited to; insulation testing (megger testing), Ductor, Hi Potential testing, torque tests and mechanical / functional testing, Commissioning & Start-Up
− Perform regular inspections of any issued vehicle or calibrated equipment/tools.
Preferred residence in or near the Washington DC area
Requirements include a four year degree in electrical engineering, as well as 7+ years as a shop / electrical field service engineer. He or she must exhibit working knowledge of advanced electrical industry manufacturing standards & electrical systems, working knowledge of both factory testing standards and NETA MTS & ATS standards.
Specific standards include sections of ANSI IEEE C37 applicable to the design and manufacture of breakers and switchgear. Specific knowledge of the following: ANSI IEEE device function numbers; ampacities of electrical conductors in switchgear applications; electrical air and surface creepage clearance requirements. Demonstrate knowledge in the design and manufacture of bus and structural modification projects. Skilled in the art of writing accurate and complete test reports, project summaries and has the ability to explain most of the system anomalies found on a given project. Demonstrate knowledge of basic electrical theory and control circuits i.e.: Ohm's Law; Advanced AC and DC theory; contactor and circuit breaker schematics. Demonstrate knowledge of basic distribution protective relay testing, hi-pot testing, and breaker function testing. i.e.: testing of over-current and motor protection relays with current injection; acceptance testing of dielectric apparatus using over voltage testing; primary current injection of circuit breakers; mechanical and electrical functional testing of circuit breakers; HV substation, generation testing. The Field Service Engineer will also be expected to demonstrate proficiency with computer skills using Oracle, MS Outlook, Power DB, Word & Excel.
Additional requirements include but are not limited to:
• Working knowledge with using the following test equipment: Hi potential, DLRO, TTR, EZ CT, Multi-meter, dial caliper, relay test set, PF test set, Breaker Timing test set.
• Must demonstrate working knowledge with the use of various hand tools and mechanical adaptability.
• Must have accelerated verbal and written communication skills.
• Proficiency in problem solving.
• Willing to attend in-house and out-side training.
• Willing to travel up 85% of the year.
• Demonstrate ability to read and interpret plan sets and one line diagrams.
• Must complete and pass the Powell Factory Certified Technician program.
• Communicate to customers about project execution plans.
• Must obtain / possess NICET II or higher and maintain for duration of employment.
The Field Service Engineer will perform duties in an industrial environment. This position requires services both locally and across the Continental US, some international may be required. It is the policy of Powell Service Division to promote safe working conditions for ALL employees, to make available where necessary special equipment to protect employees against specific hazards, to reduce accidents through prevention programs and to establish rules that are designed for the safety of all. It is the responsibility of each employee to adhere to this policy, as well as to observe all safety practices and exercise every precaution for the safety of accidents.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel, carry or operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand; talk or hear; walk; sit. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. Additional requirements are as follows:
• Medium physical effort (lifting/moving up to 50 pounds)
• Have full range of mobility in upper and lower body and be able to work in various positions, including, but not limited to, stooping, standing, bending over, sitting, kneeling and squatting for extended periods of time.
• Work at heights greater than 10’.
• Work on ladders of all types.
• Work on scissor and bucket lifts (on occasion).
In addition, employees will be required to complete and pass Company and Customer required drug screening, background and employment verification checks, maintaining eligibility throughout employment.