Powell Industries, Inc. Switchgear Applications Engineering Manager in Bradford, United Kingdom
Purpose of the job
The purpose of the Switchgear Applications Engineering Manager is to provide leadership and management to a multi-disciplined professional engineering team. The Switchgear Applications engineering team is a customer facing department liaising with Sales, Projects and Operations to execute multi-complex, custom designed, electrical Switchgear projects to solve our customers’ requirements.
For whom responsible
Directly Responsible for UK Switchgear Applications Engineering and Power Automation Teams
Liaise with the Sales Applications Engineering Manager to assist the Company in securing orders through specification reviews, optimised engineered solutions and attending pre-order meetings with the client.
Through liaison with the Director of Design & Development develop a plan to ensure that all Applications Engineers have all the required standards to be able to effectively engineer contracts.
Ensure that all Applications Engineering documentation is accurate, timely and meets agreed customer requirements within budget, ensuring consistent application of Powell UK and Group livery standards.
Ensure that the Applications Engineers consider all technical and commercial aspects so as to meet customer requirements and effectively manage all potential risks.
When contract variations occur, through liaison with the Commercial Manager, ensure that the Applications Engineers follow the proper recording, costing and authorisations to proceed with any change in scope within budget.
Manage Applications Engineering resources to best meet the overall engineering requirements for contracts and to ensure effective capacity planning.
Ensure that all considerations are made so as to maximise profitability whilst maintaining excellent customer service and satisfaction.
Ensure that customer complaints are dealt with effectively and within the required time scales.
Ensure all relevant QHSE standards and obligations are met
Ensure departmental development needs are reviewed and met.
Assist in the preparation of project plans.
Manage the HR requirements of the department in line with company procedures and policies, liaising with Human Resources as appropriate.
Ensuring department performance to a standard which satisfies internal and external customer requirements in line with agreed departmental KPI’s.
Applications Engineering within Powell UK is operated by several expert teams whose roles are interdependent. Effective and regular communication between teams is crucial.
In addition the post holder will engage in regular communication with customers, the Internal and External Sales function, Design and Development, IT Department, Production Management and the Senior Management Team.
- The ability to effectively communicate using both verbal and written communication that delivers high levels of confidence in those dealt with.
- A strong technical background with high levels of commercial acumen.
- The ability to meet the expectation of both internal and external customer, clients and suppliers through a sound understanding of their requirements, being responsive to their needs and exceeding their requirements.
- The ability to think through and adopt a clear, sensible approach to planning, prioritising and organising tasks and activities to meet deadlines and targets.Makes most efficient use of time and other resources.
- The ability to pragmatically solve problems using varied approaches and considering all relevant factors and options before making a decision/taking action.
- The ability to encourage team working within own function and the broader business.
- The ability to demonstrate energy, drive, commitment and dedication to achieving both own and company success.
- Proactive in approach, resilient under pressure, ability to maintain clarity and vision, and possesses a strong results orientation.Personal Qualities
- Sincere and genuine
- Confidence inspiring
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Team worker
- Dedicated and conscientious
- Commercial acumen
- Bigger picture view
- Conflict resolution
- Results focussedEmployment, Educational & Professional Background
- Ideally degree qualified, working towards degree qualificationsorHNC in mechanical or electrical engineering and a completed apprenticeshiporconsiderable experience in the switchgear industry, dealing with applications and product design
- The ideal candidate will have experience in Electrical Design Engineering
- Specific experience of LV or MV Switchgear or associated products would be a distinct advantage.
- Experience of leading and managing a team is essential