Powell Industries, Inc. Senior SCADA / PLC Engineer in Bradford, United Kingdom
The Power Automation Division (PAD) is a core engineering facility responsible for developing, commissioning, maintaining and supporting systems products as applied in the switchgear marketplace occupied by the company. It is also responsible for the provision of technical support to internal departments and providing after sales technical support to the Client.
Purpose of the job
To be responsible to the Lead Engineer (Systems) for designated activities involving system design, development, commissioning and technical support. This will include liaison with clients, manufacturers, internal production and engineering teams where necessary.
For whom responsible
No direct reports.
- Interpret the client specifications to develop project Functional Design and drawings in accordance with both the project documentation requirements and Powell standard procedures, in a logical sequence to meet the timescales of the allocated projects.
- To execute the work in the most cost-effective manner and provide the best possible commercial return.
- To develop the SCADA / PLC in accordance with the requirements of the project specification as defined and thus meeting the requirements of the Client.
- Participate in internal design reviews for the allocated projects at all stages of development, manufacture and site work.
- Test the SCADA / PLC system in accordance with the project specifications and the Client’s requirements.
- Prior to a Factory Acceptance Test, check the status of the product to ensure the quality and completeness of the equipment is in line with the specification.
- Be conversant with the various software packages used throughout the Company, and when necessary, use them to good effect to carry out design related activities.
- Ensure that the Company’s Health, Safety and Environmental policies and procedures are constantly adhered to in all aspects of Systems Applications Engineering Design.
- Ensure all Contract Plan dates are maintained.
- The safe and timely execution of Site Services contracts in the UK, Offshore and Overseas.
- Conduct and produce Health & Safety Work Method Statements & Risk Assessments.
- Participate in the Site Report feedback process to ensure continuous improvement of site and assembly processes.
- Ensure that the companies Health, Safety & Environmental policies and procedures are constantly adhered to all aspects of Site Services.
- Ensure the timely completion of Site Work documentation (Site Reports, Site Work Time sheets, Site Work Expenses etc.) to allow for prompt submission of invoices and payroll payments to be made.
The PAD function is operated by a small team operating internally and externally whose functions are interdependent. Effective and regular communication between department members, internal business departments and external customers is crucial.
- A strong technical background with good commercial acumen.
- Attention to detail with a total commitment to quality.
- An emphasis on safety, quality and duty of care.
- The ability to effectively communicate using both verbal and written communication that delivers high levels of confidence in those dealt with.
- The ability to meet the expectation of both internal and external customer, clients and suppliers through a sound understanding of their requirements, being responsive to their needs and exceeding their requirements.
- The ability to think through and adopt a clear, sensible approach to planning, prioritising and organising tasks and activities to meet deadlines and targets. Makes most efficient use of time and other resources.
- The ability to pragmatically solve problems using varied approaches and considering all relevant factors and options before making a decision/taking action.
- The ability to encourage team working within own function and the broader business.
- The ability to demonstrate energy, drive, commitment and dedication to achieving both own and company success.
- Proactive in approach, resilient under pressure, ability to maintain clarity and vision, and possesses a strong results orientation.
- A willingness to embrace change and a welcoming attitude to continuous improvement.
- Honesty and Integrity
- Sincere and Genuine
- Confidence inspiring
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Dedicated and conscientious
- Customer Focused and Flexible
- Inquisitive and Driven
- Problem solving and Decision making
- Development Orientation
- Achievement Orientation
- Change Orientation/Continuous Improvement
Employment & Educational Background
- Ideally degree qualified, working towards degree qualifications or HNC in electrical engineering and a completed apprenticeship or considerable experience in the switchgear industry, dealing with application/system design.
- Minimum two years’ experience in Electrical engineering, preferably within an office environment.
Knowledge/experience of the following is essential:
Industrial Protocols (IEC61850, Modbus RTU/TCP, DeviceNet, Profibus etc.)
- Network infrastructure and management techniques.
- InTouch / WinCC.
- PLC Programming (Allen Bradley RS Logix 5000).
- MS SQL.
- Microsoft Office.
- Technical report writing experience.
Knowledge of the following is desirable:
Knowledge of 3 Phase power distribution and motors.
- Knowledge of Industrial power control and protection.
- Power Management Systems.