Powell Industries, Inc. Production Engineer in Bradford, United Kingdom
Purpose of the job
The Production Engineer is part of a team that ensures production procedures efficiently utilise materials and personnel, recommending changes to product specifications as necessary. The Production Engineer will evaluate and resolve manufacturing technical feasibility, design optimisation and production issues through direct liaison with other teams and departments across the business.
The role will focus on the continual reduction of direct and in-direct costs from the manufacturing processes through the implementation of lean manufacturing methodologies. The identification of potential product cost reduction opportunities presented with clear cost benefit analysis where appropriate is a key aspect of this role.
The Production Engineering function is critical to the resolution of non-conformances, driving the identification of the root cause and ensuring robust corrective actions are implemented. They will work very closely with others aiding in the development of process FMEA and control plans.
Production Engineering Manager
- Designs and develops equipment and fixtures to improve manufacturing time, cost and quality.
- Identify trends relating to non-conformances, then generate and implement actions relating to improvement activities.
- Actively support the business in the effective handling and closure of customer complaints.
- Involvement in New Product Introduction (NPI) process.
- Assist with the reduction of internal non-conformances.
- Assist in the development of Quality Control plans in line with existing / potential customer requirements.
- Work with other areas of the business to enable efficient, effective and robust solutions to be implemented.
- Provide a link between the D&D and manufacturing departments in order to drive through potential design changes to improve the manufacturability of the product.
- Drive continuous improvement of the manufacturing departments output on the key aspects of on time, on cost and of the required high level of quality expected from our customer base.
- Be innovative in their approach to problem solving.
Excellent communication between all parties is crucial. Specifically, the post holder must engage in regular communication with:
- Electronics & Systems Design and Development
- Switchar Design and Development
- Switchgear Applications Engineering
- Systems Applications Engineering
- Commercial Department
- After Sales Services
- Human Resources
Through operational and commercial astuteness and flexibility, both ‘detail’ and ‘people’ will be successfully managed. Key to this is effective interdepartmental communication.
- The ability to earn respect and credibility through proven strong communication and contribution.
- The ability to meet the expectation of both internal and external customer, clients and suppliers through a sound understanding of their requirements, being responsive to their needs and exceeding their requirements.
- The ability to think through and adopt a clear, sensible approach to planning, prioritising and organising tasks and activities to meet deadlines and targets. Makes most efficient use of time and other resources.
- The ability to use a wide variety of approaches to solving problems by getting to the root cause. Consider all relevant factors and options before making a decision. Take responsibility for decision and justify where necessary.
- The ability to clearly understand and express information and ideas using relevant methods and techniques.
- The ability to work within a team whilst recognising that all individuals are members of the bigger team.
- The ability to proactively develop competencies to help improve and realise the potential of self and others with measurable benefits for individuals, the team/department and the Company.
- The ability to demonstrate energy, drive, commitment and dedication to achieving success for themselves and the Company. Adopts a proactive approach to their work, is resilient under pressure, maintains a clear vision, and possesses a strong results orientation.
- The ability to seek opportunities for beneficial change, persuade others of the benefits and encourage and enable others to adapt to change.
- The ability to be genuine, sincere and take responsibility for actions.
- Build trust by being consistent, open and honest.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Exercise due diligence and care on moral, financial and legal considerations.
- Be proactive and have a “can do” attitude towards problem solving.
- Able to work on their own initiative with a wide degree of creativity and latitude.
Employment, Educational and Professional Background
- The ideal candidate will preferably be HNC qualified in an engineering discipline.
- Have a reasonable level of engineering / manufacturing experience with a Mechanical/Electrical Engineering background.
- Experience in a production engineering environment along with formal training in lean Manufacturing methodologies.
- Very knowledgeable in Lean Manufacturing Techniques.
- Knowledge of the development of manufacturing processes.
The Job Description is a broad statement of the purpose, scope and responsibilities essential to performing within the role to a required standard. The role and responsibilities thereof defined within will change with technology, working practices and redefining of roles, and with this in mind, the process will be reviewed as changes demand. The format does not require every single task to be recorded, instead the Job Description is written in a ‘generic’ style that permits flexibility but defines the boundaries of responsibility and accountability.
Powell is committed towards equality in employment.
#LI - AB1