Powell Industries, Inc. Manufacturing Supervisor in Bradford, United Kingdom
Purpose of the job
To execute manufacturing plans in line with business and customer expectations. Ensure all business requirements are achieved and production targets are set monitored and met. Drive through continuous improvement throughout the areas of responsibility. To closely work with the Planning department to create daily and weekly schedules of activities which meet all customer and business requirement’s. Provide a safe working environment, adhering to the company’s Health & Safety and Environmental policies / requirements.
For whom responsible
All personnel entering & working in their department.
- Manage and lead a team to ensure that internal / external customer expectations in terms of safety, delivery, quality and product performance are met.
- Ensure all manufacturing employees are trained to fully use in-house manufacturing systems.
- Develop robust operating procedures; include reviewing and amending where necessary, and ensuring a right first time ethos throughout with a paramount emphasis placed on safety.
- Ensure any customer complaints and non-conformances are closed in a timely manner
- Validate product costs as required to ensure quotation tools are maintained with accurate information
- Set the departmental Key Performance Indicators for on time in full (OTIF) and on cost.
- Responsible for cell loading and man-power planning, including overtime and labour deployment, providing relevant data as required.
- Assist with the recruitment of additional or replacement labour, as required.
- Co-ordinate production areas effectively to ensure production targets are met.
- Undertake performance management of all personnel including annual performance review process.
- Carry out Disciplinary hearings in line with company procedures.
- To lead continuous improvement in all aspects of the role.
- Ensure that the project deliverable dates are achieved on time and on cost in respect to labour utilisation.
- To ensure a safe working environment.
- To be accountable for their departments and to lead by example through a positive attitude and commitment.
- Make appropriate pay scale recommendations as required.
- Responsible for internal customer/supplier liaison.
- Develop and maintain good working relationships through open lines of communication at all levels.
- Responsible for good housekeeping practices.
- Fully understand the requirements of HR processes and procedures, manages them in the required timescale and positively promotes them across the business.
High standards of communications are essential between both customer facing and internal colleagues. Such communication must be professional at all times and reflect appropriate behaviour in representing the company.
Written communications should comply with the Company’s Visual Standards
Regular contacts for internal communications will include:
- Director of Operations
- Manufacturing Manager
- Supervisors / Charge Hands
- CNC Programming
- Production Engineering
- Applications Engineering
- Switchgear Design & Development
- Goods Receiving
- Human Resources
- Clear understanding of all manufacturing operations.
- The ability to lead and manage a multi-skilled team within a manufacturing environment.
- The ability to implement lean principles ensuring improvement activities are measured.
- Adopting a team-based approach to delivering the business plan and high levels of customer service.
- The ability to meet the expectations of both internal and external customers, clients and suppliers through a sound understanding of their requirements, being responsive to their needs and exceeding their requirements.
- The ability to think through and adopt a clear, sensible approach to planning, prioritising and organising tasks and activities to meet deadlines and targets. Makes most efficient use of time and other resources.
- The ability to use a wide variety of approaches to solving problems. Consider all relevant factors and options before making a decision. Take responsibility for decision and justify where necessary.
- The ability to clearly understand and express information and ideas using relevant methods and techniques.
- The ability to actively encourage team working whilst recognising that all individuals are members of the bigger team.
- The ability to proactively develop competencies to help improve and realise the potential of self and others with measurable benefits for individuals, the team/department and the Company.
- The ability to demonstrate energy, drive, commitment and dedication to achieving success for themselves and the Company. Adopts a proactive approach to their work, is resilient under pressure, maintains a clear vision, and possesses a strong results orientation.
- The ability to seek opportunities for beneficial change, persuade others of the benefits and encourage and enable others to adapt to change.
- Honesty & Integrity.
- Sincere and genuine.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Team worker.
- Dedicated and conscientious.
- Customer Focused.
- Planning and Organising.
- Problem solving and Decision making.
- Change Focused / Continuous Improvement.
- The ideal candidate will have substantial Supervisory experience, preferably within an Engineer to order environment.
- Certified management qualification (e.g. ILM, NEBSM) would be an advantage
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a make-to-order environment
- Familiarisation with Lean Manufacturing Methodology is essential
- A Health & Safety qualification.
- Computer literate to a high standard.
The Job Description is a broad statement of the purpose, scope and responsibilities essential to performing within the role to a required standard. The role and responsibilities thereof defined within will change with technology, working practices and redefining of roles, and with this in mind, the process will be reviewed as changes demand. The format does not require every single task to be recorded, instead the Job Description is written in a ‘generic’ style that permits flexibility but defines the boundaries of responsibility and accountability.
Powell is committed towards equality in employment.