Powell Industries, Inc. Labourer in Acheson, Alberta
Based out of the Electrical Division Edmonton (EDE) location, the Production Worker - PCR will report to the Manufacturing Supervisor of the Fabrication department. Under the direction and guidance of the Journeyman Welder, the Production Worker will use a variety of skills and tools to produce precision parts and construct Powell Canada products.
• Assist with daily and weekly preventative maintenance of the metal working machinery.
• Move parts from one manufacturing operation to the next, according to the part routing.
• Loading and unloading of steel or other product from trucks (indoor/outdoor).
• Assist with shop and yard organization.
• Assist Brake Operators with heavy or awkward parts during braking operations.
• Assist machine operators with various tasks upon request.
• Assist Welders during weld operations.
• Remove finished parts from sheet metal skeletons.
• De-burring, grinding or finishing of metal parts using all types of air/electric grinders or sanders.
• Sort and stack parts by part number & job number combination.
• Assemble kits of parts to be welded.
• Operate pallet jack, forklift and cranes.
• Knowledge and ability to use general hand tools such as hammers, screwdrivers, wrenches, vise grips, etc.
• On occasion, required to perform labor tasks such as painting, grinding, sanding or general cleaning tasks as directed by Supervisor or Lead Person.
• Promote a safety culture as well as attend all safety meetings.
• Ensures quality by following standard work instructions and identifying any potential risks to product quality.
• Ensure work area remains clean and well organized.
• Other duties as required.
• Ability to read a tape measure (including conversions from fraction to decimal and conversely from decimal to fraction and metric to imperial).
• Conscientious, thorough, accurate, and reliable when performing and completing job tasks.
• Ability to learn and adhere to all manufacturing policies and practices to ensure adherence to ISO requirements.
• Able to work effectively within a team and around other departments and their activities.
• Must have a basic command of the English language, both written and verbal.
• Minimum education level of a High School Diploma is required.
• 1-2 year metal fabrication shop experience is considered an asset.
• Safety certifications are an asset for this position.
• Due to the safety sensitive nature of this position successful candidates will undergo pre-employment substance abuse and medical testing upon hire.
• Safety sensitive position in a temperature controlled manufacturing or industrial environment with occasional outside activities.
• Required to wear personnel protective equipment at all times (i.e., hard hats, safety glasses, hearing protection, safety harnesses and respirators) when required.
• Must be able to work from all types of ladders (step ladders, "A" frame ladders, and all-size extension ladders).
• Working with and around loud machinery for the majority of the shift.
• Able to maintain body equilibrium and agility to prevent falling when walking, standing, crouching, ascending or descending stairs.
• Bending the body at the waist, the legs at the knees, and extending arms and hands in any direction in a repetitive manner continuously.
• Continuous standing, walking 50-300 foot distances for long periods of time with only occasional sitting.
• Using upper extremities to apply or exert a force up to 20 lbs.
• Typing, punching or applying pressure to an object with fingers and palm.
• Perceiving size, shape, temperature or texture by touching with the fingertips.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use the careers site as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, send an email to email@example.com or call 713-378-2685 and let us know the nature of your request and provide your contact information. Please do not direct any other general employment related questions to this email and/or phone number. Only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address and/or phone number. EOE including Disability/Protected Veterans