Powell Industries, Inc. Journeyman Welder in Acheson, Alberta
Powell People Solving Tough Problems
As a top player in Switchgear and E-house Manufacturing, Field & Valve Servicing, a career with us will challenge you to solve some very tough problems. You will be rewarded with growth, personal development & industry expertise. At Powell, we appreciate our employees by providing a comprehensive salary package, RRSP matching, extensive benefits and job training all within a professional & friendly working environment.
Based out of the Electrical Division Edmonton (EDE) location, the Journeyman Welder will report to the Manufacturing Supervisor of the Fabrication department. The Journeyman Welder will use a variety of welding processes and tools to produce precision parts and to construct Powell Canada products. The Journeyman Welder will also provide guidance to Apprentices.
- Fit-up Weldment per required mechanical engineered drawing and product specifications.
- Setup CC and CV welding machines to achieve desired quality results.
- Work with small hand tools, clamps and grinders to fit-up and weld structural and sheet metal products.
- Perform light maintenance on welding equipment such as replacing contact tips and nozzles, replacing liners and entire weld gun assemblies, replacing drive rolls on wire feeders and safely exchanging shielding gas bottles.
- Instruct, mentor and monitor apprentices.
- Perform advanced complex welds.
- Operate plasma cutters and cut materials using power tools or by hand.
- Operate automatic band saw and Mag drill.
- Participate in Powell's ongoing Safety Training.
- Assist Lead Persons with training and mentoring other employees.
- Promote a safety culture as well as attend all safety meetings.
- Ensure quality by following standard work instructions and identify any potential risks to product quality.
- Ensure work areas remain clean and well organized.
- Other duties as required.
- Comprehension and understanding of shop drawings.
- Ability to read or learn to understand various welding symbols.
- Changes priorities to meet changing demands; adjusts quickly to new responsibilities and tasks.
- Effectively diagnoses problems and influences proper actions to resolve them.
- Ability to read a tape measure (including conversions from fraction to decimal and conversely from decimal to fraction and metric to imperial).
- Conscientious, thorough, accurate, and reliable when performing and completing job tasks.
- Adheres to Powell’s set of core values and beliefs during both good and bad times.
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency and a “can-do” attitude by collaborating with others to solve problems and drive results.
- Approaches work consistently and utilizes methods to complete and monitor tasks to meet deadlines.
- Ability to adapt to new ideas, technology, processes and product changes.
- Effectively diagnoses problems and influences proper action to resolve them.
- Able to work effectively within a team and around other departments and their activities.
- Ability to learn and adhere to all manufacturing policies and practices to ensure adherence to ISO requirements.
- Must have a basic command of the English language, both written and verbal.
- Valid Provincial or Interprovincial Red Seal Journeyman’s Welder certification.
- Minimum 2 years of experience, working as Journeyman in related structural steel fabrication field.
- CWB Certification is considered an asset.
- Overhead crane experience (10-80 ton).
- Forklift operation experience (3000#-20000#).
- Safety certifications are an asset for the position.
Who we are
Powell Canada Inc. is a subsidiary of Powell Industries, which is located in Houston, Texas. Globally, we have over 70 years of experience. Powell Canada is a reputable electrical manufacturing, valve servicing and electrical/instrumentation contracting company. We hold a strong industry presence with offices located in Edmonton, Acheson, Vancouver, Calgary, Redwater, Fort McMurray, Lloydminster, Montreal and Saskatoon.
Powell strives to create one unified company through training, communication and leadership. We offer diversified services based on our customer’s needs, keeping us on the cutting edge of new products and services within our industry.
Your Partner in Safety
Successful candidates must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for any employer, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Powell Canada, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.