Powell Industries, Inc. Applications Engineer in Acheson, Alberta
Job Summary – Responsibilities:
- Independently review customer supplied specifications to assess feasibility of Powell manufacture or supply.
- Read and interpret electrical drawings to include: single-lines, three-lines, elevations, control schematics, site plans and electrical enclosure layouts.
- Proactively anticipate highly complex application concerns prior to development of proposal.
- Translate conceptual customer designs into a meaningful proposal.
- Generate accurate proposals based on the review and interpretation of customer supplied documentation
- Ensure that proposed solution is best optimized for Powell and the customer.
- Utilizing independent judgement and decision making, creatively address customer application concerns at the proposal stage and communicate these concerns effectively to Powell Sales and/or customer.
- Perform competitive evaluation of sub vendor proposals used to complete the overall Powell offering.
- Act as an internal technical resource for Sales and Application engineering staff.
- Interact with other Powell divisions to develop cross business solutions.
- Assist in providing feedback for, and maintaining accuracy of various costing tools.
Other duties as assigned.
Secondary Responsibilities (performed but not regularly):
Perform analytical or competitive studies as required.
- Participate in sales and marketing activities to include industry meetings and conferences.
- Contribute to new and existing product specifications.
- Assist in developing formal internal formal proposals including technical budget estimates and cost justification models for product line enhancements and/or cost out projects.
- Participate in executing cost out initiatives in conjunction with Engineering and Operations.
- Prepare detailed, accurate and cost competitive proposals - 90%
- Participating in external customer meetings and/or conferences – 10%
Knowledge / Skill:
Build and maintain a working knowledge of electrical theory and applicable industry standards including IEEE/ANSI, NEC, IBC and NFPA. Especially as related to low & medium voltage distribution equipment, and substation design.
Familiarity with low & medium voltage distribution equipment ratings and design
- Ability to read and interpret electrical specifications
- Ability to read and interpret electrical drawings to include single lines, three lines, schematics and wiring diagrams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Customer Oriented
- Able to manage multiple priorities
- Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; develops realistic action plans in order to meet deadlines.
- Problem Solving: Gathers and analyzes information using inquisitive mind, using strong logical, methodical and systematic skills
- Work independently with little or no supervision
- Ability to learn new skills and assume new responsibilities
- Visio / Auto CAD / Inventor
- Microsoft Office Suite
B.S. in Electrical Engineering or relevant discipline
2+ years of experience in related field with BS in Electrical Engineering
- Computer Skills: AutoCAD; ERP system Oracle; Microsoft Office Suite; previous experience utilizing Projects related software (ie. - Primavera, Microsoft Projects, Excel and Oracle) with the ability to learn new software programs
- Satisfactory background check
- Satisfactory drug test results.